With all the stress we’ve been through getting everything in line for Fabio’s visa and moving etc., the last thing my nerves needed was to worry about the shutting down of the US government. It was bad enough that Italy narrowly escaped a total collapse of its own, but to think about being let down right when I really needed my government to come through and that everything could come to a screeching halt due to this new round of political stonewalling was very disheartening. We had come so far! Plus, we’ve already booked non-refundable train tickets and reserved a little flat in Naples, not to mention the fact that we’re moving out at the end of the month! We’ve timed everything perfectly, it was the last thing we needed.
Thankfully, because immigration services is a money-making entity (we’re going to be out over $700 just in fees, which is totally fine but definitely a nice little chunk of change), it’s not affected by this government shut down. I even got a nice little email confirmation sent to me from the office themselves, reassuring me that everything was still on track. Thank you America! Our politicians may be nuts but at least our bureaucratic system works!
My nerves have calmed a little in the past few weeks as things seem to be falling into place. Also, my husband is more determined than ever to get this adventure going. I think just the fact that, after over 3 years, we have something concrete in the future to work towards is a huge game-changer and really keeps him motivated. He finished up at his last place of work a few weeks ago, and normally my sweet, agitato (energetic) husband would be bouncing off the walls or beginning to feel down-in-the-dumps right about now, but this time he’s got his chin up and is really pumped for this new adventure.
I honestly think I’m have a harder go of it at the moment, as strange as that sounds. I’m very stressed with all of the things that we have to do before we go, and until we get the okay from Naples (which we’ll be looking to get this Wednesday) I feel like we can’t move forward. I’m sure things will move into a different gear once we know when we can leave and then we can finally book flights and make final arrangements. We also have to pack up our little apartment, the place that we designed together, our ‘newlywed nest,’ which is a bit emotional. Thankfully we are renting it out to a lovely couple, so I know it will still be ours and be very well taken care of (I mean, I keep a clean house, but it’s not Italian clean). But obviously it pulls a little on my heart-strings to think about handing the keys over to someone else.
The determination from Fabio and the positive, unyielding support form his father (without which would render this whole thing almost impossible) is what is lifting me up more than anything, and it really confirms we’re on the right tract. We’re not at the end of the road yet, but I don’t think we’ve got to wait much longer.
Whoever happens to read this between now and next Wednesday, October 9th, if you could please send good thoughts our way: that our interview will go smoothly and we’ll return from Naples with what we were looking for, I’d appreciate it more than I can say!